September 21, 2011

Chef: ANGELO SOSA

We were first introduced to Angelo Sosa on Top Chef Season 7, where episode after episode he was praised for his innovative creativity, impeccable technique, and adventurous flavor combinations. Despite dominating nearly every challenge of the season, Angelo failed to score the championship title because he fell ill (see: "Most embarrassing Top Chef moment?below). However, our disappointment was relieved when he returned months later to compete for the Top Chef: All Stars title. Spoiler alert: he didn’t win, but he still proved himself as one of the top contestants, and his departure from the show left us longing to experience more of his culinary talents. Luckily for us (and for our blog), Angelo’s restaurant Social Eatz launched in NYC this Spring. At Social Eatz, one can indulge in some tasty, high-end, Asian bar food, and lucky visitors can also catch a glimpse of the talented chef himself (we did—it was awesome). Angelo has spent his career working in a diversity of restaurants from his early days at the Ocean Club restaurantDunein the Bahamas, to Jean Georges in New York City, Spice Market in the Meatpacking District, and Yumcha in the West Village. Now Angelo has turned his efforts to building reputation as a restaurant consultant--his client list already includes big names such as Stephen Starr's Buddakan, Morimoto, and Alain Ducasse's Spoon Food & Wine in Paris.

Prepare your forks and knives for the Top Chef extraordinaire, Angelo Sosa; we expect he'll be feeding New Yorkers for years to come.



Your culinary style:
Interpretive and innovative--I pull inspiration and flavors from the past into the future in an innovative way. 

Inspiration for Social Eatz:
Inspired by my travels to Malaysia and my love and passion for Korean food. I take those flavors and apply them to American classics. 

What did you have for dinner last night?
I'm on a spaghetti craze. Eating it almost every night. 

If you could have dinner with anyone, real or fictional, who would it be?
I have two: Nostradamus or Anthony Robbins

What would you cook them?
Nostradamus would already know….but I would need to create something after speaking to either of them, as I imagine I would be truly inspired afterwards.

What would your last meal be?
A home-cooked meal from my mother.

Quality you most admire in a chef:
Ability to be creative on the spot.

Biggest takeaway Top Chef lesson:
Other than always taste your food, always trust your gut and do what you think is right. 

Most embarrassing Top Chef moment:
Being shot in the rump on national TV. 

Your next step?
Right now, I'm focusing all of my time on Sosa Consulting Group. We have launched an NYC based concept (Social Eatz) as well as another in LA (SmithHouse Tap & Grill). In addition to that, I have a cookbook on the way, which will focus on stories and recipes all comprised of experiences and travel that have made me the chef that I am today.

Your motto:
Live one day at a time and give all you have to the day. 

Your idea of happiness?
Happiness is who I have with me and around me, not defined by material but by the people who are in my life. 

Restaurant you frequent most in NYC:

Best NYC restaurant for a special occasion:

No comments:

Post a Comment